Ulli Waltinger is the Head of the Machine Intelligence Research Group and the Technology Head of the Siemens AI Lab at Siemens Corporate Technology, Siemens’ global research organization. Prior he worked at the Artificial Intelligence department and the Center of Excellence of Cognitive Interaction Technology at the University of Bielefeld.He is specifically interested in methods that bridge the areas of connectionism and symbolics models applied to real-world AI and NLP applications. Ulli Waltinger has more than 40 peer-reviewed publications in the field of computer science, artificial intelligence, computational linguistics, and cognitive science. Over the last years, he pushed and led, within Siemens, various AI initiatives, such as the Core Technology Initiative on Deep Learning and Artificial Intelligence 2015, various Hackathons and Bootcamps on AI, and founded together with a passionate team in 2017 the Siemens Artificial Intelligence Lab in Munich. Data is the new Source Code.
- My research connects the concepts and methods of social networks and the semantic web with machine learning and natural language processing. I am interested in combining human intelligence with artificial intelligence methodologies. I am specifically interested in methods that bridge the areas of connectionism and symbolics models applied to real-world applications (see Publications and PhD-Thesis)
- October 2017- today: Founder & Technology Head of the Siemens Artificial Intelligence Lab at Siemens Corporate Technology.
- August 2016 – today: Head of Research Group Machine Intelligence at Siemens Corporate Technology.
- October 2015 – July 2016: Portfolio Project Manager Semantic Machine Learning at Siemens Corporate Technology
- Januar 2012-September 2015, Research Engineer and Senior Key Expert at Siemens Corporate Technology in Munich.
- October 2010 – December 2011: Post-doctoral research at Artificial Intelligence Group at Bielefeld University at the Excellence Cluster 277 (CITEC) project Knowledge Enhanced Embodied Cognitive Interaction Technologies (since October 2009 affiliated to the Center of Excellence Cognitive Interaction Technology).
- November 2010: PhD in Computer Science from the Technical Faculty at Bielefeld University. PhD was advised by Prof. Dr. Alexander Mehler in the Text Technology Group, and co-adviser Prof. Dr. Ipke Wachsmuth in the Artificial Intelligence Group.
- 2007 to 2010: Text Technology and Applied Computational Linguistics Department at Bielefeld University.
- 2004 to 2007: Master of Science from the University Bielefeld –Bertelsmann-Scholarship for Thesis.
- 2001 to 2004: Bachelor of Arts (hon) from the University of Middlesex London
- Artificial Intelligence, Computational Cognitive Science
- Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Representation Learning
- Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing
- Semantic Web, Linked Data, Social Networks, Crowdsourcing
- Knowledge Discovery, Data Analytics
- Text-, Web-, and Data Mining, Sentiment Analysis, Opinion Mining
- Question Answering, Decision Support
- UIMA, Gate, Big Data, Large Scale Processing
- Cognitive Science Society
- Gesellschaft für Informatik (GI)
- Gesellschaft für Sprachtechnologie und Computerlinguistik (GSCL)
- Interest Group on German Sentiment Analysis (IGGSA)
- C++, QT, Java, Perl, Python, Shell
- TensorFlow, scikit-learn, panda, Weka, R
- PHP, ASP, JS/Ajax, Flash AS, HTML/CSS, jQuery
- MySQL, MySQLite, Oracle, Teradata
- RSS, RDF, XML, XSLT, UML, Protege
- Eclipse, NetBeans
- Apache Lucene, Apache Solr, Semantic Vectors
- Weka, Gate, UimaFit
- Linux, Mac OSX, Windows
- Adobe Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver